International students

These pages are for international students.

Please make sure that you know where the International Office is and our number is in your mobile phone - 0161 455 2434.

The International Office can offer help and advice on any aspect of your life as a student. We’re based at Nicholls Campus.

We can help with:

  • your enrolment
  • settling into college life
  • immigration and visa advice
  • advice about career progression

Call us on 0161 455 2434.

If English is not your first language, we’ll assess your level of English during enrolment. This is so we can offer you English language support if you need it.

If you do need support, we’ll discuss with you and your tutor the best way to help you achieve your goals. We may ask you to attend regular sessions linked to your course. These sessions will help you with your course work and exams. You’ll also get a qualification that will help you go on to further study or work.

If you think you need language support later in the year:

  • speak to your tutor or
  • contact the English as an Additional Language(EAL) tutors through reception.

Basic accounts

If you’re:

  • 18 or over
  • studying in the UK for at least six months

you should be able to open a basic account with most UK banks. Most basic accounts allow you to:

  • pay money in
  • take money out
  • use cash machines (ATMs)

You will not have access to credit.

Student accounts

To qualify for a student account you need to:

  • have lived in the UK for the previous three years
  • study on a university level (higher education) course

If you go away for a long period, it’s a good idea to tell your bank.

Opening a bank account

If your bank has a branch in Manchester, it makes sense to open an account with that bank. International banks like Bank of China and HSBC may employ people who speak your language. Many students open an account in the city centre, which is where you will find the largest choice of banks.

To open a bank account in the UK you need:

  • your passport (or national ID card, if you are from an EU country)
  • valid visa

a letter, on The Manchester College headed paper and with the college stamp, addressed to the bank, confirming the following details:

  • bank name
  • full branch address
  • your UK and overseas addresses
  • title of your course
  • start and end dates of your course
  • whether the course is full or part time

You can apply for this letter through the International Office at Nicholls Campus.

It’s not a good idea to walk about with large amounts of cash in your bag or pockets, especially when going to a bank. You may lose it or it may be stolen.

The UK Home Office requires students from some countries to register with the police. If an immigration officer stamps your passport with a requirement to register with the police you must register within seven days of your arrival in the UK.

To register with the police, you’ll need to go to Bootle Street Police Station, in Manchester city centre. The Bootle Street Police Station telephone number is 0161 856 3129.

When you go, you’ll need to take:

  • your passport
  • two passport size photos
  • your letter of acceptance from The Manchester College showing the course you’re taking and how long it lasts OR
  • a copy of your college learning agreement
  • £34 fee (amount correct in 2013/14)

The police will ask you to complete a registration form. It will take about 15 minutes, but allow more time than this as there may be a long queue. If you don’t have any passport photos, you can get them from the photobooth in the Post Office in Brazennose Street (off Deansgate) or in Spring Gardens (off Market Street). It costs about £4 for four photos.

Once you’ve completed your registration, you’ll receive a Police Registration Certificate. You should carry this certificate with you at all times to prove your identity. You can then put your passport in a safe place. (It’s very difficult and expensive to get a replacement passport if your passport is lost or stolen.) You should keep photocopies of all your documents.

Once you’ve registered you’ll need to report any changes in your circumstances to the police within seven days. Changes in circumstances could include:

  • permanent change of address (this includes moving to a new room within the same hall of residence)
  • change of college
  • change of marital status
  • extension of stay by the Home Office
  • issue of new passport/travel document

You can make a change of address at a local police station. All the other changes have to be made at Bootle Street Police Station. It’s important to inform the police within the seven day period. If you don’t, your visa may be revoked.

You must let the college know straightaway if you change your address.